The Old Dominion Land Company (ODLC) was an organization chartered in 1880 by railroad magnate, Collis P. Huntington and his associates for the purpose of buying up and developing land for his newly purchased Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad. The Company ultimately became the primary developer of the original City of Newport News. The Old Dominion Land Company also had a hand in the development of the Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company and what became the City’s reservoir and drinking water system. The company remained in business until 1948. This is a collection of the Company’s working maps and blueprints used for their development projects. This current collection is composed of over 200 maps, blueprints and sketches detailing streets, neighborhoods, old farms, buildings, piers, sewer systems, etc. Click on this collection and view the creation of the original City of Newport News.